Wednesday 18 April 2012

Calling the whole world 'home'!

My lovely friend Nikki, having just returned to Singapore from a stint in Paris and being the product of a very global upbringing and agreed to write a piece for this blog.  I am always interested to hear from Adult TCK's, their experiences and the highs and lows of growing up international!

Thanks Nikki!
______________________________________________________________________________

One thing that really gets my goat is when people tell me I am Malaysian. I don’t mean that they ask me, I mean that they correct me, and TELL me that I am not in fact Irish, I am Malaysian.  If you knew me, you’d find this quite ridiculous too – I’m almost 6 feet tall, have blue eyes and red hair and skin that burns before I can even reach for the sunscreen.

I should say at this stage, that if I were Malaysian, I’d be very proud to be, and my annoyance is not anything to do with the country or its people, my annoyance stems from people trying to label me or make me fit into their idea of nationality, heritage and that wonderfully challenging word – Home!

Let me take a step back and introduce myself. My parents are Irish, as are my grandparents, great-grandparents and as far back as it goes – all Irish. My father was a rare breed for his day, and set sail to work in Thailand and Fiji as a young man.  He worked for Ericsson, the Swedish telecommunications company, and not in the diplomatic corps or army.  He came back to Ireland to work for a brief stint, where he met my mother and married her.  My sister was born in Ireland, but at that stage, my Dad had already left for his next expat assignment in Tunisia.  He kept the telegram he received when he was told of my sister’s birth, and a few weeks later, my Mum and my sister joined him in Tunisia. And so began decades of our family moving around the world.  They stayed in Africa for a few years, and then moved to Malaysia, and sometime in their 8 year stay in that beautiful country, I was born.  This is where my initial rant comes in, as there a lot of people who believe your birthplace defines where you are from, and where you are from defines who you are. My parents moved back to Ireland when they were expecting my brother, their third child.  After 4 years of living in Ireland, they threw in the towel and moved back to Asia. They have never moved back to Ireland since.  Every two to four years, we’d be told of the next posting, and the circus of packing, saying goodbye to school friends, finding new homes for the family dogs, getting on planes and moving to a new country would start again. After Malaysia, we lived in Egypt, Pakistan, Bahrain, Korea, India and Vietnam as a family. When we were in school abroad, it was always in the international schools, and I spent most of my time in Ireland trying to lose the American accent that all international kids pick up on these schools! We all spent a few years in boarding schools in Ireland, but came ‘home’ at every given opportunity.  

I alluded to this earlier – ‘home’ is a difficult thing for expat kids to understand.  ‘Home’ for me changes every two to four years, but home is also, and will always be, Ireland.   The norm is to have one home, but I’ve finally stopped struggling to answer the persistent question of ‘but where are you from, where is home?’, like I’m too dense to be able to answer a simple question.  I want to scream that its not simple, but instead I resort to explaining that I have many homes, and not just one. My home is where my parents are, where our childhood photos are on the wall and where my Mum makes my favourite dinner on my first night back.  Incidentally, that is currently Thailand where they have retired to, but I expect that might change in the future.  Home is also Ireland, and I am very proud to be Irish. More on that later… And finally, home is where I live right now, where I come home to after a long day and where I have 2 spare rooms for visiting family and friends (one is never enough…). Today that is in Singapore, but over recent years, that would have been France and Australia.  Yes, the wanderlust that my parents experienced is now firmly ingrained in my life, and I too move around every 2 to 4 years!

I remember when I first came across the phrase ‘Third Culture Kid’, and a light bulb went off in my head. I have always felt different, and here I found a group of people who were also different, and therefore the same. The website I read talked about feelings of displacement (tick), not knowing where home is but feeling nationalistic (big tick) and feeling out of sync with my peers (tick).  More importantly, I read about how TCKs are more welcoming of others into their community, how they can understand other cultures better than their average friends, and how they go on to be well educated and do well in their professional lives.  While I can’t judge myself, I like to think that I would list these among my strengths and so this really helped to cement that I really was a third culture kid. I put my hands up now and admit I am 38 years old, and cringe at the term ‘third culture kid’, but I will use it for the purpose of this blog!

So back to being Irish! It would have been easy for our family to become global nomads, and live without roots. However, luckily my parents are both very proud to be Irish, and made sure that we knew where we were from.  While my Irishness is not constrained to one day in March every year, we celebrated St Patricks Day with gusto, and we could all sing along to the Dubliners, Pogues and other songs which being Irish, you’re required to know! We learnt about our ancestors, which was relatively easy as my mother’s family was quite a prominent political family and played an important part in the history of Ireland.  We went back to Ireland for our holidays most years, and stayed with cousins and grandparents.  In the early years, this was quite a struggle for my parents.  It is hard to remember the days when to get from Asia to Ireland involved a minimum of four flights, and when suitcases didn’t have wheels, or aeroplanes didn’t have in-flight entertainment.  I don’t know how my mother coped, but she did so with amazing energy, as she would usually take us home a few weeks ahead of my Dad and so had to do these journeys on her own with 3 small kids.  She will also be able to tell the stories of how the trips home had to be on boats in the early days, as planes just weren’t an option!

We had an amazing experience, growing up in remarkable places, and if I were asked to choose now between a life of an expat kid or a life of a ‘normal’ Irish kid, growing up in Dublin, I’d still choose the life we led.  For me, the constant was always my family, and to this day, we are all very close.  We live in four different countries, on three continents, but I speak to each of them every couple of days.  We are all on a plane with the drop of a hat if we are needed, and I always know I have a room in any of their homes for as long as I want it.  As an expat kid, you spend all your time with your family, leaving together, moving to new countries together, being the new kids in school together and my home will always be where they are, as truly home is where the heart is. They say that 66% of third culture kids will continue to move throughout their adult lives, while the other 34% will do everything they can to put down those elusive roots.  My brother and I have continued to move as adults (although he is much more adventurous than me!) whereas my sister has had the same house for ten years now, with a white picket fence and her daughters have friends that they will grow up with in school.  I know that she dreams of moving from time to time, but she is definitely the 34% in our family who loves having her roots firmly planted where she is now. For now…!

I have been asked by a lot of parents living abroad on my feelings of whether they should go bring their children up as expat kids or not.  I sensed some strong guilt feelings in many, as they wondered would their kids prefer to be at home, close to cousins and in one school until they graduate.  Others wonder whether they will fit in at home if they do go back, or is it already ‘too late’.  When I was asked whether I missed being part of a little-league team at home, I first said that we didn’t have little-league softball in Ireland, but I didn’t miss it because I was too busy horse-riding around the pyramids at dawn on weekends,  having birthday parties on a yacht on the Nile, or playing war games with my brother in the jungle of the foothills of the Himalaya’s in Pakistan.  Yes I missed growing up with my cousins, but my best friends were Thai, American, Indian, Pakistani, and British and I was welcomed into their homes the same way that my Aunts and Uncles welcomed me. 

To all parents out there with young kids, I hope this blog helps you to consider staying abroad and giving them the gift of being able to call the whole world home. 

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment